Thursday, February 7, 2008

'GROWING FAVOR' - Feb. 3rd

Have you noticed how some people seem to grow spiritually...in a dramatic way? My wife and I have noted several people like that this past year. This type of growth makes ministry exciting. Where does it come from? How can I grow like that?

"And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." (Luke 2:52, NIV). Jewish boys became responsible religious citizens at the age of twelve. This verse comes right after that celebration visit to the Temple at Jerusalem. These few words describe his next eighteen years.

The word growth used in this quote notes the struggle, that a young adult goes through, toward maturity. This is growth that takes purposeful effort. I'm now taking a masters program on-line. Can you feel my pain...as I attempt to grow? If you didn't get all your growth in your teen years...there's hope! Keep at it.

Favor is the key word in Jesus' personal development. It is connected to the word grace...or undeserved favor. God does for us...things we can not do for ourselves. However, the word favor can signal the recognition given to us for our best efforts. I like to think of favor as the influence that opens doors. God can open doors for us and He can influence both friends and enemies to open doors for us. God is the Source of favor.

Favor is also connected to the word face. Have you ever seen someone's face light up when they really favored a friend? I met someone I should of recognized about two weeks ago...my face had a puzzled look...I fell out of favor! When we favor, we tend to look someone squarely in the face...there is a connection taking place.

When Jesus died on the Cross for our sin...to pay a debt we could not pay...we call that grace. When God turned His eyes from his son Jesus...who became sin for us...God turned his Face toward us in a new way. Because of Christ...a distant God is now Our Father. When we seek favor...we seek the Face of God.

No comments: