Tuesday, January 15, 2008

VISION THAT TRANSFORMS

What is the year 2008 going to be like for us? Eugene Peterson described our ability to predict the future: "We don't see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist." (I Corinthians 13:12, The Message). The economic and political scene looks chaotic these first few January days. Where's the defroster? That ditch is out there somewhere! We are all driving down this unknown road called 2008. Where are we going? God only knows!

The basic meaning of the word vision is...the ability to see. The Apostle Paul was a visionary man. He saw a vision of the resurrected Christ on the road to a city called Damascus. The sermon text came from the Book of Acts, where Paul retold his story for the third and final recorded time. He shared his key statement, "I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven..." ( Acts 26:19, NIV).

The first idea we see is that Paul had a vision that transformed or radically changed his life. God sees the future clearly...even when we are in a fog. Real vision is a gift from heaven. Seeing clearly provides 'response ability' to make right choices. We can remain in a fog, or we can pray for God's vision. Living in a fog can be risky. Have you ever had to drive your car in a fog? Having great headlights sure helps in a time like that! "Where there is no vision, the people perish" (Proverbs 28:18, KJV). Do I really want a vision from heaven? Am I willing to see what God wants for my life? Paul chose to follow the heavenly vision and allowed God to change his direction.

The second idea is that God's vision will often cost us something. Some of our foggy notions about life have to go. Are we willing to change...friends, schools, jobs, careers, dreams...for God's ideas? Does God really know what will make us happy? Paul thought so...when he said, "I was not disobedient." Paul gave up his plans. Now, Paul could now say that God knew exactly what He was doing from personal experience. Sometimes we settle for some poor choices, just to live in a comfortable fog. Do you want 2008 to be different than last year?

Paul was convinced that God was right. He was on a mission to tell the whole world, one person at a time. How do you hide real joy? I remember when I bought my first car. I remember preparing to graduate from college. I remember falling in love with my wife. It is hard to keep good things secret. I wanted to tell everyone, until friends were tired of hearing it! Vision gives us a life worth talking about.

God sees the future clearly. God sees and knows our hopes and dreams. God knows us better than we know ourselves. The old fog is filled with past mistakes. How bad do you want to see 2008 clearly? Vision is a gift we can ask for. Only God can light up our future to see the road ahead and keep us between the lines. Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Matt Guthrie said...

Good words.

"The second idea is that God's vision will often cost us something. . . Does God really know what will make us happy?"

I'm pondering these very same questions right now. It seems you and a bunchof other guys I respect are preaching right at me here lately. Thanks.

singnforGOD said...

Dead right Pastor Al, when I look at where I was headed 7 years ago I knew nothing. God knew though, He knew everything that I could only guess about. In Steve Deneffs book, More Than Forgiveness,it states, “In conversion God suddenly gives us the capacity to do by nature things we have up to now only admired or wished we could do.” God's leading in my life has allowed me to see what He wants out of my life. He may change it but until he does I will continue on the path laid out before me. You are blessed with words Pastor Al, Keep using them.

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I assume nice post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

Anonymous said...

megan fox naked nude , paris hilton sex tape
Update: Thanks to you guys in the comments for linking to this vid of one of these ladies. It’s totally safe for work, but it’s still VERY disturbing, so watch at your own risk. megan fox naked videos
megan fox naked video
This might be the best FOD skit I’ve seen yet — with the exception of Lindsay Lohan’s self-deprecating debut, naturally. Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green starred in Funny Or Die’s latest installment, speaking out against the massive education budget cuts occurring in California. The best part of the video? Probably Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger’s “delegate.” Dude’s funny. Either that, or the little girl who so-openly discusses her head lice. Totally classic. megan fox naked video
megan fox naked pics
And although her curves were prominently featured in the first two Transformers films via lingering shots of shapely body, those movies were strictly PG rated flicks. megan fox naked photos

Anonymous said...

Profound chore on the site, it looks wonderful. I am flourishing to bookmark it and will grasp tried to check often
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/6.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/7.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/8.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/9.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/10.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/11.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/12.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/13.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/17.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/18.gif[/img]