Monday, January 21, 2008

Just Thinking--New Year's Resolutions

Can you remember your New Year's Resolutions this year? It has only been days! For the most part, we forget resolutions as quickly as we make them. A quick promise doesn't usually change anything.

For the past few years, I have taken the whole month of January to think about what I am doing and where I am going. I pray. I talk to people that have proven themselves as trustworthy friends. During this time, I pay attention to: what, who, where and how things are going.

Keeping life simple works for me. My personal relationship with God is number one priority. My wife is the most important person of the planet. We are blessed with family. Church allows us an even bigger family. Growing personally and professionally rounds out the list.

Usually, I make only one difficult promise each year. That one idea stretches me. The promise easily fits into one of those five listed priorities, the one that needs attention.

We have a few more days left in this month. What is the decision/resolution that will make the most impact on your life? Keep it simple...that helps the memory. Be Blessed!

1 comment:

Susan Keel said...

I just read this one and it is one that is particularly relevant for me this year. In the past, I rarely made New Year's resolutions because the chance of success was usually slim. Last year, I only made on and that was to read the One Year Bible. This year, I decided that there were things in my life that I wanted to change/accomplish and I wouldn't make resolutions, but I would turn them over to God and ask for his help and guidance with them.

I have written them down and look at them every few days and pray over them often. I didn't care how big or small they are; I am going to trust God. I'm already seeing progress with some of them and others will be interesting to see how they unfold over the year.

This is certainly a new way for me, but I won't consider anything a failure. How can it be when I've put God in charge.

Susan